In Indonesia, tree boilers become a staple food after rice and corn. The benefits of tree boiler leaves as vegetable ingredients have a fairly high protein, or for other purposes such as medicinal materials. Its wood can be used as a garden fence or in villages it is often used as firewood for cooking.
As described above, in general the kettle or cassava will grow even when grown perfunctorily. But it is different when you want to produce cassava in large quantities and for sale. Of course, the planting must use the correct cassava cultivation technique.
Steps to Grow Cassava
– Choose a planting medium in the form of sandy loam land soil, humus black to sandy yellow. Sand, limestone soils, stony, clay-yellow and clay-red soils are less suitable for cassava cultivation.
– Carry out tillage at the beginning of the rainy season. Cassava plants up to 5 months of age are prone to drought. Spray weeds with systemic herbicides with a reinforcing mixture, in a ratio of 10:1. Sufficient dose of 1 liter of herbicide mixture per 220 liters of water. Three days later scatter 30 (thirty) to 50 (fifty) tons of manure or compost that has been fermented or has matured. Sow also 3-5 tons of lime/dolomite. Three days later carry out plowing of the soil with a large agricultural tractor with a depth of at least 30 cm, measured from soil that has not been hoeed.
– During piracy, farmers have to juxtapose. Fifteen days later carry out the second hijacking. It would be better if within fifteen days there was rain.
– Provide good seedlings. Types of elephant cassava or borneo cassava, according to market demand. Elephant cassava is a type of cassava, while Borneo cassava is a type of poison cassava, for the manufacture of tapioca flour. Some farmers refer to borneo cassava as white elephant cassava, or Bornean cassava.
– Good seedlings are not too old and not too young. Its position is at 30 cm above the growing point of the shoot and 30 cm below the petioles that are still sticky when the cassava is harvested. The diameter is between 1-2 inches. The length of the cuttings is about 25 cm. The budding is tight, 7-10 buds are perpetuated. Fresh seedlings are characterized by a deep skin that is still green and comes out sap if the skin is exfoliated.
– Tie both ends to a strong wooden stick, 3 cm in diameter, 50 cm in length, point out the ends. Use this rope as a tool for spacing planting points. Planting distance 1 x 1.5 meters. The 1.5-meter distance is longitudinal East-West.
– Embed cuttings one-third of them. Perpendicular, do not tilt-obliquely. Traces of skin skin cuttings should be all immersed. Planting should be carried out when the rainy season has entered.
– When you have finished planting, immediately fertilize with NPK Phonska 100 gr / stem. Fertilizer is sown around the cuttings a distance of 5 cm to 20 cm. Fertilization is carried out in the afternoon above 16.00.
– When you are 1 month old, do the repayment. Remove small/ugly shoots, leave healthy and good shoots. Prioritize maintaining the shoots growing on the top. Leave 2 buds if the purpose of planting is for seedling propagation and production. Leave 1 sprout if the goal is only for production.
– Then apply the second fertilizer which is the same amount and method as the first fertilization. It’s just that the stocking distance is widened to 30 cm from the planting point. The application of sprayed liquid fertilizers will be quite helpful. Can wear Gandasil A or other types. Its micronutrient content will increase the production height. The dosage and time of application can be seen in the brochure of each product.
– When the tanman is 3 months old, do the third fertilization, the scattering distance is widened to 40 cm from the planting point. Finished fertilizing do the shading and hilling. The height of hilling until the cuttings become immersed in half or about 12-13 cm. If the history of the soil has ever been attacked by upas fungus, then reapply dolomite 3 tons perhektar.
– When the boiler is 5 months old do the fourth fertilization with a ZA of 50 grams per stem. If there is an attack of the whitefly or mealybug, spray it with insecticides Decis or Matador or other types of broad-spectrum.
– Ten days before harvesting, cut the cassava stem 30 cm high. Keep cassava stems in a 100% shaded place, for sale and subsequent planting. This treatment is believed to increase the weight of cassava by up to 8 percent.
– Harvesting is carried out at the age of 11 months after planting. Re-tillage is considered to take a month, until the growing season will remain the same throughout the year.